I don’t usually talk about technology or apps even though I love all things techie. But I had to share info about a new infrared thermometer invention for smartphones. Just the other day I wondered if that kind of technology would ever happen. You know like they do it in Star Trek.
Seems the inventor, Dr. Jacob Fraden, of the popular ThermoScan thermometers has done that. I can’t explain all the juicy details so here it is from Dr. Fraden:
“the Fraden Smartphone Sensing patented technology and IP (Intellectual Property) employs a non-contact infrared sensor built into a smartphone or tablet to instantly and accurately measure patient temperature in less than one second with absolutely no contact with the human body. A priceless feature for parents with small children, nurses, doctors, caregivers or anyone that has ever had trouble taking a temperature, the sensor accurately detects infrared signals that naturally emanate from any surface. Just aim the smartphone at the face and it automatically takes the internal body temperature. A small infrared lens is positioned near the camera lens, with no protruding parts, making the device appear identical to existing smartphones.
The sensor’s wide range, from -22 ºF to +400ºF, offers broad applications in taking temperatures of not only humans, but also of inanimate objects in the home environment, such as kitchen (cooking and refrigeration), bathroom (baby bath water temperature), school (science class), and industry (automotive and production machinery, chemical processes, energy management, and construction).
“Most smartphone models differ little from one another, with only small evolutionary changes. The vendor with breakthrough functions for real world everyday use, like reading a child’s temperature, can distance themselves from their competitors. We believe this new patent can be a significant competitive differentiator for a smartphone manufacturer,” said Dr. Jacob Fraden, President of Fraden Corporation, a co-inventor of the technology and expert in non-contact temperature measurements, a holder of over 50 patents and the inventor of the popular Thermoscan ear thermometer.”
I don’t know when it will become widely available so keep a look out for it. Pretty cool, huh?
Here are some basic and mom-friendly details:
Fraden Infrared Thermometer for Smartphone Technology Features:
· Patented technology – U.S. issued and world pending patents.
· No comparable products on the market – a great differentiator for the smartphone industry.
· Minimal incremental cost.
· Non-protruding, works with digital camera in smartphone.
· Quick time to market.
· Very easy to use.
· Instant response, less than 1 second.
· Computes the body’s inner temperature (medical mode).
· Clinical accuracy meets ISO standards.
· Measures temperatures of inanimate objects (food, water, buildings, machinery, circuit boards, etc.).
· Small (2.5 mm) infrared (IR) lens is located next to the digital camera lens.
· Technology is expandable to thermal imaging, UV and EMF pollution exposure and others.
Latest posts by Samantha Gregory (see all)
- Tooth Fairy Calculator - May 15, 2013
- The Avengers Teach Kids About Money - May 14, 2013
- Mother’s Day Gold Heart Charm Necklace Review and Giveaway - May 8, 2013